corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Header level > 6
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2015 16:53:58 GMT
My first instinct on hearing “heading level 7” is that perhaps the author of such a document
should reconsider their structure ;) I never go more than three for normal documents. The
designers HTML assumed 6 would be enough, but Word allows up to 9 levels.

Having >6 levels can be handy for outlining (in particular Word’s “outline view”
mode), and in that instance I can see it would be useful.

Regardless of it’s merits or otherwise, I think we should support this, but it will complicate
things somewhat given that the existing logic generally assumes only six levels. Any levels
above that, in the Word filter at least, are simply given their style name but otherwise considered
normal paragraphs.

Having a <div style=“corinthia-level-X”> is a good first approach (and I suggest
using the corinthia- prefix in places where we have our own special behaviour; currently the
prefix is uxwrite- in many places but that should be changed). However, it’s possible in
Word to have multiple heading styles at the same outline level - for 1-6 this is fine, because
we just give the style name and can express the outline level in HTML based on the tag number
(h1 through h6). When we go to having <div> or <p> elements with a style name,
there is no way to express the outline level as part of that, at least none that is immediately
obvious to me. I’m not sure what the best solution here is for handling arbitrary depths.

In theory we may also have file formats which support more than 9 outline levels (not sure
what ODF’s limit is, but it may be possible with other formats). In that case we need to
figure out how that would be expressed in terms of a Word document.

Another possible solution is to just use h6 for every header of level greater than 6. While
this “loses” information in the resulting HTML, I view it as a reasonable compromise in
the sense that it fits within the semantics of HTML, and due to the use of bidirectional transformations,
the heading level could remain the same (that is, 7 or greater) during update if the level
has not been changed to < 6 during editing.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org