corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Ian C <>
Subject What Google does to odf documents
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2015 11:09:19 GMT
Hi All,

one of the things my tool does is compare the structure of documents.
Different version of the same one as a user adds etc.

I took a simple "Hello World" document and stored it in Google docs. I then
downloaded it back again, no edits,  I then compared the two.

They are radically different. Just consider the document body.
                <text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0"
                    text:name="Illustration" />
                <text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0"
                    text:name="Table" />
                <text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0"
                    text:name="Text" />
                <text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0"
                    text:name="Drawing" />
            <text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">Hello world </text:p>

When downloaded.
            <text:p text:style-name="P1">
                <text:span text:style-name="T1_1">Hello</text:span>
                <text:span text:style-name="T1_2">
                    <text:s />
                <text:span text:style-name="T1_3">world</text:span>

It lost the text-sequence-decls... no harm there. Not really sure what they
were. But look at the simple text paragraph. It gets blown out to a span
around each word with its own style! Even the space between the words has
its own style!

I'm sure there is some smart reason for this. I don't understand what it is.

Let's hope we can do a better job with the round trip of a document in
Then again maybe we will discover that is what we have to do?

Ian C