corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "Navigating the Document-Format Anti-Pattern"
Date Sun, 14 Jun 2015 05:46:57 GMT
This is one of the main reasons why I believe that change tracking information has no place
in a document format, but is better dealt with by a version control system.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

> On 14 Jun 2015, at 3:38 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
> The PDF of the paper about RCT (Repaired Change-Tracking), "Tracked Changes: Navigating
the Document-Format Anti-Pattern," provides a pattern-like model for the interoperability
assurance for WYSIWYG document using standard document-file formats.  The author's final submission
version is available for download in the bibliographic entry at <http://nfoworks.org/notes/2015/06/n150601.htm>.

> A key finding in this paper is that in the absence of a profiled envelope in which there
is interoperability assurance when interchanging documents using a format such as ODF, there
is no prospect for such interchange working properly with change-tracking in the files.

> Conditions on which such an envelope can be established and change-tracking accomplished
in a dependable way are sketched.

> This is important to Corinthia with regard to profiling the interoperability among processors
of standard formats and also determining how to profile the handling of those formats in an
interoperable way, whether or not change-tracking (the original stimulus for the work) is
every accomplished with Corinthia.

 You can see the table of contents of the proceedings at <http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2723147>
by selecting to see the "Table of Contents."

> I will make author's versions of my two papers available for direct download in a few
days.  You will notice from the abstracts (linked from table-of-contents) that ODF change-tracking
received a great deal of attention.

> There has been conversation with Peter Kelly about how change tracking might work in
Corinthia.  These papers are about the underlying formats.  Corinthia needs to be concerned,
if at all, in terms of making tracked changes of changes made to the HTML presentation view.