corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: What Google does to odf documents
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2015 06:27:31 GMT
The Google Docs implementation does not appear to be a descendant of the way
Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice are.  Those do not do such ridiculous things with automatic
styles and text spans.  They are used, but not so abundantly.  I thought Calligra was an independent
implementation, but I could be mistaken about that.

There are some additional constraints beside schema conformance, but that is essentially it.
 The document you saw produced by Google Docs is ODF conformant and documents having that
approach will be encountered in the wild.

I don't know what the relative likelihood will be for Corinthia, though.  If the document
is already in Google Docs, it might be shared with Google Docs more often than after export
to ODF.

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Ian C
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 18:56
To: dev; Dennis Hamilton
Subject: Re: What Google does to odf documents

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 4:57 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <
> wrote:

[ ... ]

I assume the other major players like Libre and Caligra which are all
derived from the same source tree will behave the same? Then again my kids
tell me the old joke about assume, making an ass out of u and me.

On a more direct note I wonder how we would process such a document? We are
not far enough along to generate css data from automatic styles yet but a
big document following that pattern would generate loads of useless css
rules. Suggesting we need to look at the content of the rules, compare and
optimise. A possible step for the future, baby steps first...

[ ... ]

View raw message