corinthia-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Git revert difficulty
Date Sat, 25 Apr 2015 15:12:47 GMT
The revert failed because it conflicted with some fixes I made to OOXMLTypedefs.h, to remove
compiler warnings about duplicate typedefs.

‘git revert’ essentially takes a diff between the files before and after a given commit,
and then applies that patch in reverse. So if changes have been made after the the commit
was reverted, then the patch may fail to apply (as it did in this case).

There’s two ways to get around this:
1. Revert all the commits, in reverse order, until you get back to where you were previously
2. Check out files from the commit prior to when you started making the changes in question
(in this case from the stable branch).

I’ve just fixed this up manually now, using the second approach. There were no other changes
to those particular files between your commit the other day and these, so I just replaced
them directly.

I’ll now set up the structure under filters/odf/src with some comments, so you can work
from there.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

PGP key: http://www.kellypmk.net/pgp-key <http://www.kellypmk.net/pgp-key>
(fingerprint 5435 6718 59F0 DD1F BFA0 5E46 2523 BAA1 44AE 2966)

> On 25 Apr 2015, at 9:28 pm, Gabriela Gibson <gabriela.gibson@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> I managed to revert 2 of the 3 commits I made, using a fresh clone, using
> 'push' after every revert.
> 
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-corinthia/commit/d929743bc35ef8446e3caf617ecc2fe06f271f87
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-corinthia/commit/af7174928444035dd05a63a1e1f2cb190fcb5360
> 
> However, the first commit of that series (I worked backwards) is not
> reverting trivially and I'm not sure how to proceed.
> 
> This is the state of play:
> 
> $ git revert c4ea2ed9389b46418eed7a1f499b8085461c58c3
> error: could not revert c4ea2ed... Add initial shape of ODF filter.
> hint: after resolving the conflicts, mark the corrected paths
> hint: with 'git add <paths>' or 'git rm <paths>'
> hint: and commit the result with 'git commit'
> 
> $git status
> On branch master
> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
> 
> You are currently reverting commit c4ea2ed.
>  (fix conflicts and run "git revert --continue")
>  (use "git revert --abort" to cancel the revert operation)
> 
> Changes to be committed:
>  (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
> 
>        modified:   DocFormats/filters/odf/src/text/ODFText.c
> modified:   DocFormats/filters/ooxml/CMakeLists.txt
>        deleted:    DocFormats/filters/ooxml/src/odf/ODFConverter.c
>        deleted:    DocFormats/filters/ooxml/src/odf/ODFConverter.h
> 
> Unmerged paths:
>  (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
>  (use "git add <file>..." to mark resolution)
> 
>        both modified:
> DocFormats/filters/ooxml/src/common/OOXMLTypedefs.h
> 
> Untracked files:
>  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
> 
>        TAGS
> 
> ------
> 
> The list in the git status looks like expected:
> 
> $ git status
> On branch master
> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
> 
> You are currently reverting commit c4ea2ed.
>  (fix conflicts and run "git revert --continue")
>  (use "git revert --abort" to cancel the revert operation)
> 
> Changes to be committed:
>  (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
> 
>        modified:   DocFormats/filters/odf/src/text/ODFText.c
>        modified:   DocFormats/filters/ooxml/CMakeLists.txt
>        deleted:    DocFormats/filters/ooxml/src/odf/ODFConverter.c
> deleted:    DocFormats/filters/ooxml/src/odf/ODFConverter.h
> 
> Unmerged paths:
>  (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
>  (use "git add <file>..." to mark resolution)
> 
> both modified:      DocFormats/filters/ooxml/src/common/OOXMLTypedefs.h
> 
> Untracked files:
>  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
> 
> TAGS
> 
> However I'm not sure what the both modifed entry signifies.
> 
> The changes to DocFormats/filters/ooxml/src/common/OOXMLTypedefs.h
> mentioned in 'both modified' I did in that commit were additions:
> 
> (logmessage entry for that change)
> * DocFormats/filters/ooxml/src/common/OOXMLTypedefs.h Copypasta and
> replace-string of Word related typedefs to 'ODFxxx'. Not clear they are all
> needed or correct.
> 
> In the file itself at the end, the additions were removed and I now see
> this added in, presumably by git:
> 
> =======
>>>>>>>> parent of c4ea2ed... Add initial shape of ODF filter.
> 
> I'm not sure what is the conflict here or how to resolve it.
> 
> thanks,
> 
> G
> -- 
> Visit my Coding Diary: http://gabriela-gibson.blogspot.com/


Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message