corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriela Gibson <gabriela.gib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Small script page for the wiki?
Date Sat, 18 Apr 2015 19:30:34 GMT
On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 5:39 PM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:

> On 16 April 2015 at 19:01, Gabriela Gibson <gabriela.gibson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Franz, after revising the linux build instructions on the wiki, I
> realised
> > that my script was building inside the source tree, which is suboptimal.
> >
> > I added the updated script (which now works properly) to the wiki here:
> >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Corinthia/Scripts+for+devs
> >
> > have fun,
> >
> Thinking loud, would it be better to have a script directory in our repo,
> where  we
> can keep the actual scripts, and the have the script wiki page refer to
> that ?
>
> I think that's a better idea, so I suggest that if you guys like, I go
ahead and make a script directory with README,txt file and the obligatory
CAVEAT EMPTOR :>

I'd call my current script linuxDownloadAndBuildWithTAGS.sh I guess (I was
informed that vi also uses TAGS :) [1]

====

Jan and I talked earlier about the unix tree command I found, which
produces a lovely html tree of the project that is nicely browsable too.
I've comitted a copy into the . of our repo, take a look and see if you
like it enough to make this a permanent feature.  You can find it here:
 (but before you look, quick, guess how many directories we have currently?
:-)

https://github.com/apache/incubator-corinthia/blob/master/CorinthiaDirectoryTree.html

This just shows you the html in the html file unfortunately, but if you
point your browser at the file when it's on your drive it actually works.

Because we don't add/remove directories that often, Jan suggested that I
use my apache account to run a cron job to update the tree.html once a
day.  He also mentioned that some projects have the same thing for
functions, but I haven't encountered such a (desirable) feature yet.  So
more info needed, and once I get that cron job going, it could be expanded
to include that service.

As an aside, what is the reason why one should build outside of the tree?
 (I of course messed up the instructions and so far merrily built in the
source tree until I re-read the instructions and fixed my script, haha)

[1] Maybe my fresh downloads are a bit overkill, I still don't understand
the stash system in git. (makes note on TODO list...) But the script can
still be handy at times, even if you know to work the stash system I guess.

rgds

--
Visit my Coding Diary: http://gabriela-gibson.blogspot.com/