corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <>
Subject Mentoring summer project for VAL.
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2015 12:41:16 GMT

Just for info, I submitted 2 projects to VAL

And it seems there is a student interested in doing:
Create a compliance document for ODF/OXML implementationsStatistics

Number of student views: 1
Number of times marked by a student: 0

Apache Corinthia is a project that
concentrates on generating a data loss free documenter converter as well as
a responsive design document editor for mobile devices (touch enabled

Office Documents of today usually use either the ODF or the OOXML
standards. These standards are very well documented and standardized.
However both standards include a larger number of items that are

   - "optional", meaning a given implementation may not support and may
   even delete it
   - "implementation defined", meaning nobody really knows how it is

When organisations tender for new office programs, they trust that asking
for ODF/OOXML secures interoperability, sadly enough that is not case.

In this project, we aim at providing a complaince sheet divided in 2 parts:

   - Optional features
   - Implementation defined features

And made as a list of checkmarks with comments, so the implementor can fill
it out, and the organisations can use it to compare vendors.

The project is more research than actual programming. The standards are
quite big, and not easy to read (for non-programmers), so the challenge is
to convert it into something easy understandable.

If time permits it would be an added feature to make the sheet available
online, e.g. as part of the corinthia web.

More information can be found at

The project will run over the summer and I will be mentor, but I hope you
will all help with specifics.

Have a nice day
jan I.