corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ODF document example to apply Peter's style name approach
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2015 04:19:24 GMT
> On 29 Apr 2015, at 11:39 pm, Gabriela Gibson <gabriela.gibson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The thing is though, when you do a web search for ooxml, the top link (at
> least in Ireland) is this:
>
> "
> Office Open XML (OOXML) is an XML-based file format used for representing
> word processing documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. It is
> conceptually similar to ODF in many respects, though a lot of the details
> differ.Jul 24, 2014

It’s surprising and somewhat ironic that a description I wrote on the OpenOffice Wiki is
the top hit for OOXML and not microsoft.com ;)

As others have mentioned, .docx is indeed OOXML - at least this is the conventional file extension
for what is officially a WordProcessingML document in an OOXML package.

As far as the test directory names are concerned, I would suggest docx and odt. These are
easily-recognisable strings anyone likely to look through the repository will be familiar
with, and avoid the unfortunate “Open Office” <-> “Office Open” confusion that
must have been a completely accidental outcome in the decision of what to name the spec...

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org