corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: ODF document example to apply Peter's style name approach
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 22:31:36 GMT
.docx, .xslx, and .pptx files are definitely all OOXML files.

However, Microsoft Office also has free-standing XML files that can be produced for Word and
Excel documents.  These are not OOXML but they are also not .docx, .xslx, and .pptx.

To complicate matters, Microsoft Office does not rely on file extensions alone.  It always
sniffs inside the file to see what it actually is and it may simply do the right thing.  For
example, if you have an .rtf file and rename it to .doc, it should still open correctly in
Microsoft Office Word.

Note, also, that the OOXML Standard does not specify file-name extensions at all.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Gabriela Gibson [mailto:gabriela.gibson@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 09:40
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: ODF document example to apply Peter's style name approach

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:

> > On 29 Apr 2015, at 9:46 pm, Gabriela Gibson <gabriela.gibson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > It may just be me, but I would not have looked in ooxml for docx
> documents,
> > but expected to find them in a docx directory.  In ooxml I would have
> > expected (wrongly) xml documents.
> >
> > With the symlink, it won't matter and it removes one small potential
> > confusion.
>
> I’d advise against having symlinks in the repository since I don’t think
> they are supported on windows.
>
> Oh.  I had no idea :)

The thing is though, when you do a web search for ooxml, the top link (at
least in Ireland) is this:

"
Office Open XML (OOXML) is an XML-based file format used for representing
word processing documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. It is
conceptually similar to ODF in many respects, though a lot of the details
differ.Jul 24, 2014

Office Open XML - Apache OpenOffice Wiki

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML
"

So, by that definition, docx is not ooxml and ./dfconvert tells me that:

$ ./dfconvert --help
Usage:

dfconvert get concrete.docx abstract.html

    Create a new HTML file from a Word document. The HTML file must not
    already exist.

So, that makes me think that we should have docx and ooxml directories, but
that docx should not live in ooxml?