corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: ODF document example to apply Peter's style name approach
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 22:31:36 GMT
Except for bugs in the Microsoft implementation, I would say that .docx is closer to OOXML
than .odt is to ODF.  We should stop going down that road.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea Pescetti []
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 11:03
Subject: Re: ODF document example to apply Peter's style name approach

Gabriela Gibson wrote:
> The thing is though, when you do a web search for ooxml, the top link (at
> least in Ireland) is this:
> "
> Office Open XML (OOXML) is an XML-based file format used for representing
> word processing documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. It is
> conceptually similar to ODF in many respects, though a lot of the details
> differ. ...
> So, by that definition, docx is not ooxml

Why? Are you falling into the usual trap of confusing "Office Open XML"
and "Open Office XML"? Yes, .docx is OOXML (see below for a
clarification) and everything you quoted seems correct. While the page
you cite comes from the OpenOffice wiki, the page describes the
Microsoft Word 2007 (and later) format.

Now, this is a simplification, since OOXML is the standard (the theory)
while the actual implementation (i.e., the thing that Microsoft Word
writes in the .docx file) has slight deviations from the standard
depending on the Microsoft Word version and settings. But, to a large
degree of approximation, .docx files are OOXML files and are completely
different from "OpenOffice" (i.e., ODF) files, while both formats are

View raw message