corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject ODF mapping (was RE: Git revert difficulty)
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 16:53:27 GMT

-- commenting inline to  --
From: Peter Kelly [mailto:pmkelly@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2015 21:56
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Git revert difficulty

> On 27 Apr 2015, at 11:27 am, Franz de Copenhague <franz@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I have a question regarding to the ODFTextConverter to HTML. ODF only use span tags and
style names to define text content and formats like bold, italic, strike, etc as opposite
to OOXML that uses run texts tags with separate rPr tags for inline formatting like bold,
italic, strike, etc. For me makes sense how DOCXConverter converts text formatting inline
style like style="font-weight: bold" or style="font-style: italic".

> So, considering that ODF only uses style names. What is your text formatting approach
for HTML generation from ODF documents?

Excellent question :)

[ ... ]

I actually think this is a poor design choice in the spec, because it causes confusion. As
far as I’m concerned, “automatic” styles aren’t styles at all, because the whole point
of styles is that they’re explicitly defined by the user (or provided as defaults by an
application), and are distinct from direct formatting. However, this is the terminology used
in the spec.

When translating to HTML, I think it would be best to translate all automatic styles to direct
formatting.

[ ... ]

<orcmid>
  Yes, the handling of the automatic styles in OO.o-lineage software is a problem because
users can't inspect for and resolve problems with things like format changes that simply won't
go away, since they can't find the span and changing the paragraph-level style has no effect!
  This is an usability problem, and it has not been dealt with properly in the major ODF implementations.
  Concerning "flattening" of the style hierarchy and inheritance down to what the character
stream needs, that is very appropriate.  It is also important for comparing documents (but
not so great as an update to an existing document).
  Note however that Microsoft Office ODF support is via translation to and from the Office
internal model so this is demonstrably not insurmountable.
</orcmid>