corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: ODF document example to apply Peter's style name approach
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:07:34 GMT
Historically, what is now the ODF TC (for OpenDocument format) was originally named the OpenOffice
TC and the name of the TC and of the specification was changed by a Charter update just before
ODF 1.0 was proposed and published as an OASIS Standard.  (And people asked, why didn't Microsoft
join at the beginning and simply contribute to and adopt this universal format?!  Lots of
magical thinking was at work.)

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Kelly []
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 21:19
Subject: Re: ODF document example to apply Peter's style name approach

> On 29 Apr 2015, at 11:39 pm, Gabriela Gibson <> wrote:
> The thing is though, when you do a web search for ooxml, the top link (at
> least in Ireland) is this:
> "
> Office Open XML (OOXML) is an XML-based file format used for representing
> word processing documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. It is
> conceptually similar to ODF in many respects, though a lot of the details
> differ.Jul 24, 2014

It’s surprising and somewhat ironic that a description I wrote on the OpenOffice Wiki is
the top hit for OOXML and not ;)

As others have mentioned, .docx is indeed OOXML - at least this is the conventional file extension
for what is officially a WordProcessingML document in an OOXML package.

As far as the test directory names are concerned, I would suggest docx and odt. These are
easily-recognisable strings anyone likely to look through the repository will be familiar
with, and avoid the unfortunate “Open Office” <-> “Office Open” confusion that
must have been a completely accidental outcome in the decision of what to name the spec...

Dr Peter M. Kelly

PGP key: <>