corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Franz de Copenhague <>
Subject [Document Model] RE: Initial questions about web-based application
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2015 15:20:07 GMT
> > Is there any Document model defined? I mean for Document model an
> > abstract model that's defined the structure of the document like
> > sections, paragraphs, lists, text, fields, tables, images and styles.
> The document model is HTML5 - that is, it’s identical to what the browser
> uses.
> This gives us the vast majority of what we need for an editor “for free”, in
> that it is provided by the web browser or embedded web view.
> The editing library consists of JS code that conducts all editing operations
> using W3C DOM APIs. It’s basically the same sort of thing as CKEditor and
> various other similar web-based rich text editors commonly used on
> wikis/content management systems/blogging engines.
> —
> Dr Peter M. Kelly

I agree that HTML5 is a good model to feed into the editing library to support the edition
of paragraphs, lists, text, tables, images. But what about sections, headers, footers, fields
(author, date, etc ), styles and themes? All of them are document features implemented either
docx or odt and so far they are not supported by DocFormat API.

For example, If the section feature is implemented in the web app and the user creates a section
with 3 columns. It can be rendered like this example,
but somehow DocFormat needs to know that it is a section to translate to docx or odt.

HTML5 is good to serialize from/to DocFormat api, and good to be edited by the editing library
but web app will need a model/controller on top of the HTML DOM to support same features.
Any thoughts?

View raw message