corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Franz de Copenhague <franzdecopenha...@outlook.com>
Subject RE: Prototype web app, and Editor API
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2015 18:26:32 GMT

> From: peter@uxproductivity.com
> Subject: Prototype web app, and Editor API
> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 16:56:58 +0000
> To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
>
> Unfortunately I still haven’t found time to begin putting together the foundations
of a proper web version of the Corinthia app, but I dug up an old version of a prototype I
was experimenting with quite some time ago (before the code became open source). You can check
it out here:

> http://web-demo.uxproductivity.com
>
> Username/password: demo/uxwrite
>
> Sometime in the next few days I hope to massage this into a cleaner format and get something
into the repository. But if you’re keen to start looking into this now, doing a view source
on this will give you an idea of how the web app could be implemented.

> Note that this demo just uses a pre-defined HTML document; there’s no server-side logic,
ability to load & save files, or any integration with DocFormats. This was basically a
proof of concept, but I think could give us some ideas for a starting point. Note also this
is based on an old version of the editor code.

> Also, I’ve created a page on the wiki to document the API exposed by the Editor library
(that is, the code in Editor/src) - see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Corinthia/API+reference.
These are the public functions intended to be used by a native app or other UI (e.g. browser-based).
The prototype I mentioned above has the editor library and document being edited in an <iframe>,
with all of the UI logic kept entirely separate from the library. Jan, I understand, is currently
working on the necessary bindings for C++/Qt to talk to the library.

> I’ve just listed the functions so far without documentation. I’ll get to this as
time permits, but if you’re looking for something relatively easy to get started on, some
of you might like to have a look through the code and contribute documentation. All of the
APIs are covered by the test cases (Editor/tests/*) so you can see examples here of how they
are used.

> --
> Dr. Peter M. Kelly
> Founder, UX Productivity
> peter@uxproductivity.com
> http://www.uxproductivity.com/
> http://www.kellypmk.net/

I just built an django example to prototype the server-side. It uses the CKEditor but we can
replace it by DocFormats web editor
http://django-ckeditor-franzdecopenhague.c9.io/admin/demo_application/examplemodel/2/
username/password: admin/admin
It is running in a developer python server, let me know if you cannot see the link.
JD