corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriela Gibson <gabriela.gib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CONF] Corinthia > ODF
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2015 23:42:35 GMT
On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 11:02 PM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 11, 2015, Gabriela Gibson <gabriela.gibson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Does this mean that we should consider catering for ODF_some_func_1.[x|y]
> > in some cases where 1.x and 1.y are different, and that we need some kind
> > of sandwich layer that automagically selects the correct version to use
> for
> > the standard we are processing?
> >
> > Say, I want that LaTeX doc in ODF 1.1 instead of 1.2.  Or perhaps I want
> > go from ODF 1.0 to ODF 1.2 (or vice versa).
>

> In my opinion, we must be able to  read all versions, but only write the
> newest.
>
> This is a bit devil's advocate tale, but, it's a true story:

I know of at least one secretary who in 2000 was the only person in the
entire university to still use Wordstar, because 'this is what she was used
to', and systems (and everyone else) humoured her.

So, there will be occasions where people will want to be able to use a
legacy program, because it makes life easier for them, or perhaps, an old
machine is all they can afford, or they simply don't want to enter upgrade
hell.  When ODF 6.0 comes round (and it probably will, eventually) there
will be lots of people wanting/needing this kind of functionality.

Also, Hackernews had an interesting discussion today:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9185356  --- maybe not quite
applicable to our situation here, but pretty similar.

I think it's worthwhile to consider to make it bidirectional by basic
design.

rgds

--
Visit my Coding Diary: http://gabriela-gibson.blogspot.com/