corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <>
Subject dfedit considerations and challenges.
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:33:12 GMT

I have started the work on a new consumer dfedit, which will be a
standalone exe that on side side connects to DocFormats and on the other
side to our javascript editor code.

I have been doing some research and want to hear other opinions.

dfedit should be available on:

- IoS with safari providing the rendering engine

- MacOS with safari providing the rendering engine

- Windows with IE providing the rendering engine (as far as I can see IE
rendering engine is available even if IE exe is uninstalled and replaced by
e.g. firefox).

- Linux with Firefox providing the rendering engine.

These are to me, the minimum we need to support, supporting more is good,
but not an ultimate requirement.

I am lazy so I do not want to program directly against all those rendering
engines, instead I want to use a library...for that purpose I researched a

- WebKIT, has a real nice API, but requires safari to be installed on
windows, and will require a (maybe simple) port to e.g. ubuntu and freebsd.

- qtWebKit is discontinued (but still supported) and replaced by qtWebEngine

- qtWebEngine has a real nice API, but requires chrome to be installed

- Blink (google) is in java, and thus not very funny to integrate with
DocFormats (or IoS)

I have not found other interesting kits, so right now it seems I have to:
- support webkit
- support firefox engine
- support IE engine
This would mean I would write an abstraction layer, but maybe this is a
better long term solutiion.

Thoughs and ideas are more than welcome.
jan i.