corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Initial questions about web-based application
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2015 08:10:20 GMT
Hi.

On 7 March 2015 at 21:37, Juande Manjon <juande.manjon@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> I have a few questions about the project
>

> What is the stage of the web-based application? What technologies? Is it
> only done in a front-end? Is there a back-end that interfaces with
> DocFormats API?

Peter made a demo before the source became opensource, that merely showed
it could be done.

Let me short explain our current idea (remark, idea mean that it can be
changed):

Build a webclient in html5/css with the editor window as an iframe
(DocFormat delivers html5/css). The editor  should use javascript (in repo)
for the edit operations, and callback subreq to "talk" with  docFormats.
The subreq could e.g. be ajax based, but there are multiple possbilities.

Important is that the client is based on responsive design, using e.g.
foundation.

The backend, can be either a httpd module (long term) or a simply python.
The python will give the connection to docFormats. Remark the python should
have a possibility to work without the webclient, and simply do the convert
so that if you open .docx files, they are shown as html5 rendered correctly.

Currently we are tossing ideas, none of us is working very active on this
part.

> Is there any Document model defined? I mean for Document model an abstract
> model that's defined the structure of the document like sections,
> paragraphs, lists, text, fields, tables, images and styles.

Yes and No, there are no defined model, but DocFormats delivers and accepts
html5/css so that gives you an implicit model.

I hope that gives you a starting point, feel free to ask/discuss ideas this
is how we get a better product.

For info, we are trying to make a release relative shortly, so most of us
are pretty busy, but if you would look at the web, that could really be
fantastic.

rgds
jan I.