corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <>
Subject Re: Prototype web app, and Editor API
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2015 15:53:44 GMT
On 12 March 2015 at 16:40, Franz de Copenhague <> wrote:

> >> easier the front end development. And it is good to know how to deal
> with
> >> the Apache policy using third-party frameworks.
> >>
> > We have to be very careful here. One thing is to download something to
> > make a proof of concept it is quite different if we want to integrate it
> in
> > our code.
> >
> > In our repo itself we can only have ALv2 based code. We do have an option
> > to include libraries with support functions as category B code, but for
> > example we cannot include a whole editor.
> >
> > When we include libraries as category B, we only distribute them as
> > binaries (I am aware no such thing exist for JS, but the principle is
> > binary). We can only make really minor adaptations to the original code,
> > and no way develop on it.
> >
> > Category B code can be a number of licenses, like LGPL and MPL. We cannot
> > however use e.g. GPL or BSD, the reason is that they limit downstream
> > projects from e.g. making a derivative and sell it...something we at ASF
> > really like when it happens.
> >
> > Another item is, I am not sure why we would need an extensive JS
> framework,
> > we do have quite many lines of JS code in our own repo. I would much more
> > like us to develop the remaining parts of the editor, based on good ideas
> > from the others, so that the whole code was Corinthia code.
> >
> > Django is not something we can use to bind client and server, due to the
> > license. I am the admin of a couple of servers in infra, and Django is
> not
> > the easiest or most stable framework to maintain. We should aim at a
> > connection between client and server, that do not rely on extensions of
> the
> > http server.
> >
> > But all that said, it still look good.
> >
> > rgds
> > jan I.
> >
> Good to know, I am starting to understand the Apache ropes ;)

Heh, feel free to ask not everything is as bad or easy as it seems.

If you want to know who we are:

If you like to know a little about the roles apache uses and how we work
(but when reading remember we nearly never pull out the roles, we try to
solve everything by consensus):

But most importantly, Apache is not made to be a rope around your neck, but
a rope you can climb and make 1+1=3. Like the rest of us you use your
precious spare time for this, so it is important to have fun !

jan I.