corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Prototype web app, and Editor API
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2015 00:49:45 GMT

> On 12 Mar 2015, at 10:25 pm, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Another item is, I am not sure why we would need an extensive JS framework,
> we do have quite many lines of JS code in our own repo. I would much more
> like us to develop the remaining parts of the editor, based on good ideas
> from the others, so that the whole code was Corinthia code.

IMHO we don’t need to use any third-party frameworks or libraries in the editor implementation
code itself (i.e. everything in Editor/src/*.js); there’s been numerous instances where
I’ve written my own implementation of something, so I can have full control over it in terms
of design and also licensing. For example there is the Range class, which does similar things
to the Rangy library (https://code.google.com/p/rangy/) [1]. As a general rule I try to stay
away from frameworks because I find they complicate things, but in some cases they can make
certain things like UIs easier.

It’s only for the UI code that I suggest we might consider using a 3rd-party framework -
stuff like bootstrap, jQuery etc. Personally I’m quite happy to work without a 3rd-party
framework (I know CSS/JS very intimately, but have almost no knowledge of how e.g. jQuery
works). But if others who will be building the UI prefer a framework, then as long as licensing
issues don’t cause problems I think it’s worth considering; it seems to be the norm for
most web apps these days.

[1] Oops, google code shut down today. Here’s a version on GitHub: https://github.com/timdown/rangy

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly