corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <>
Subject Re: libxml2 and iconv question, do we really need iconv ?
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:04:53 GMT
(apologies if this is duplicated; I sent from the wrong address before)

I have about 70% of an XML parser done that I haven’t gotten around to finishing yet. Once
that’s completed, we don’t need libxml. I can’t remember if we need iconv; it’s used
for character set conversions but DocFormats is UTF-8 native (as is libxml), and support for
UTF-16 would not be hard (if it’s even needed).

I would strongly argue against keeping sources of libraries in our repositories except in
the case where we have made changes to those libraries. If we do that we have to include all
of SDL_image and thus all of SDL, and that leads to quite a big repository. The same goes
for libz etc. Most projects have lots and lots of dependencies and are handled just fine by
standard package dependency systems e.g. apt-get.

Furthermore, we want to use the system libxml where available, both to take advantage of shared
libraries (libxml only needs to exist in memory once, the OS maps it into the address space
of each process that uses it), and for security updates (system libxml updated due to vulnerability,
programs using DocFormats are still vulnerable until we go and update our own version).

Dr Peter M. Kelly

PGP key: <>