corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: libxml2 and iconv question, do we really need iconv ?
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:08:30 GMT
> On 23 Mar 2015, at 7:13 pm, Franz de Copenhague <franzdecopenhague@outlook.com>
wrote:

> dfwebserver  will need iconv or similar functionality to reduce the image resources resolution
in documents to improve download performance in the client editor.

iconv deals with character set conversion, not images; SDL_image does that.

Currently we have SDL_image treated as a platform-dependent library, since we’re only using
it for one purpose, which is to get the width and height of an image, and that is handled
by the system-supplied ImageIO framework on OS X/iOS (I suspect there’s something similar
on Windows as well). For image resizing, if that’s the only extra thing we need to do with
images, we could probably implement both an SDL_image and ImageIO version of that as well.
If we’re going to be doing more extensive image manipulation, I think it would be better
to rely on one library (that is, use SDL_image on Apple platforms as well as others).

Note of course that dfwebserver could have dependencies on SDL or another library (e.g. ImageMagick
- either linked against it or calling out to separate processes). Library functionality used
only by dfwebserver doesn’t necessarily have to be depended on by DocFormats itself.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org