corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Initial questions about web-based application
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2015 13:18:54 GMT
On 8 Mar 2015, at 8:07 pm, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sunday, March 8, 2015, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>> On 8 Mar 2015, at 3:10 pm, jan i <jani@apache.org <javascript:;>>
wrote:

>>> Important is that the client is based on responsive design, using e.g.
>>> foundation.
>>
>> Note that “responsive design” in the context of the editor (or at least
>> how I’ve always used the term) simply refers to the fact that you can
>> resize your browser window, or view a document on a tablet/phone which you
>> can rotate, and the text will automatically be reflowed. This has always
>> been part of web browsers since the beginning (despite a huge army of
>> print-oriented design people trying to fight it) - it does not require any
>> special frameworks or libraries, as it’s inherent to the way that HTML
>> layout works by default.
>>
>> Ups I actually meant more...,.on a big screen you can have more gadgets
> visible in form of e.g. icons. You can have a topmrnu with sub menues
> etc...,..on a small screen som of this would be present and e.g, menus
> would typically fold differently.
>
> Our Homepage is an example of something that is more than changing the text
> fliw.

Are you referring to the need for responsiveness in the editing UI, or in the documents themselves?

I would argue that responsiveness in the documents themselves is not realistically achievable,
because although we could certainly achieve it in HTML, formats like docx and odf do not cater
for this at all, and since that’s what a large proportion of users are going to be saving
their documents in, there’s little point in supporting it in the editor.

I agree however that a responsive design approach for the UI itself is both desirable and
achievable.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org