corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [CONF] Corinthia > ODF
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2015 22:19:58 GMT
 -- replying below to --
From: jan i [mailto:jani@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 10:13
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org; orcmid@apache.org
Subject: Re: [CONF] Corinthia > ODF

[ ... ]

Good work, both of you. A little question should we try to get hold of the
newer standard, or does it not really matter ?

<orcmid>
   ODF 1.0 was barely used before ODF 1.1 was introduced.  ODF 1.1 was essentially a maintenance
release, with the addition of some provisions to support accessibility.  The current international
standard and ODF 1.1 are at a common level, so one should always use ODF 1.1 and not ODF 1.0.
 ODF 1.0 documents are a subset anyhow.

Since OpenOffice 3.x, the main support has been to some degree of ODF 1.2.  To handle spreadsheets,
ODF 1.2 is definitely the one to employ.

There are a couple of breaking changes between 1.1 and 1.2 and otherwise, 1.1 works as a subset
of 1.2 unless the 1.1 does not fit within the more-specific conformance requirements for 1.2.

   In addition to supporting ODF as such, there is the small matter of implementation-defined
and implementation-dependent cases, including where an implementation does not interpret a
feature or where it has a non-standard exception.
I think that is where we enter the scope of Corinthia with regard to profiling its support
for formats and also developing profiles of how other producers make conformant documents
comes into play.
   Conformance information is available for the compliance with ODF in Microsoft Office, although
it appears to be incomplete.  For the OpenOffice.org family, I don't think the information
has ever been made available in end-user or general-public understandable form with some sort
of keying to the relevant standard(s).
</orcmid>

rgds
jan I.