corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] X64 and libraries.
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2015 14:09:21 GMT
For Windows builds with Visual Studio (or at least the VC++ compiler), it may be an useful
alternative to have the user install the externals that are available via NuGet.  See <http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/02/13/find-your-favorite-library-for-c-in-nuget.aspx>.

I don't know what is on your list.  It would be interesting to check what is available.

With regard to setting up Apache Externals somewhere, I would suggest that there is no need
to provide the original download inside of the Zip that has the external/* if you can provide
a stable link to where it is obtained.  If this is inside the external/* material, along with
any necessary license information, that should allow a common download and extraction procedure
for all of them, perhaps a simplification of the current script logic for Windows.

Having a place to store those is going to be a problem while obtaining a new location for
this kind of archiving is established.  It might be preferable to provide them on a committer
account until that is handled.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: jan i [mailto:jani@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2015 01:58
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: [PROPOSAL] X64 and libraries.

Hi All.

As you know I started working on Qt for a desktop editor, and found out we
need the 64bit port, so I switched to do that.

I am now at a state where 64bit for windows, seems to be working, BUT

I had to find and download 64bit versions of all our external libraries,
these come as .7z files, which means we would have to extend the extract
bat file.

I know we will will also need some Qt libraries and possible also a JS
framework (for the webapp) so I am questioning if it is sustainable that we
keep maintaining our scripted download.

Apache used to have a place at google called apache_extras (will be
terminated in a matter of days), it is now being replaced with another
place. Apache_extras is a good place to keep these externals in a form
(original+lib/include) so developers simply download that as one package.

I would like to make a zip package that contains:
- original library files (zip, 7z etc)
- A text file telling from where they were downloaded
- files unpacked in our directory structure (externals/*)

We can later make similar packages for MacOS, linux etc. where needed.

I would put that zip file up on our web page until the situation with
apache_extras is cleared (unless Andrea believes the SF version is stable).

Thoughts ?
rgds
jan I.