corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copyright notices
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2015 10:49:19 GMT
> The ICLA transfers ownership to Apache

This is contrary to my understanding. In section 2 ("Grant of Copyright License”) of the
ICLA it specifically says that the signer agrees to *license* the code to Apache; I understood
this as not indicating transfer of *ownership*. If ownership transfer was taking place, it
seems the license grant would be unnecessary?

I also came across the following comment by Bertrand Delacretaz on a mailing list archive:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.legal.discuss/97

"No - as per http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt ("2. Grant of Copyright License") which
is what committers sign, they only grant a copyright license to the ASF, but all committers
keep copyright ownership of their contributions."

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org