corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <>
Subject Re: Roadmap items
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:02:42 GMT
On 11 February 2015 at 18:48, Louis Suárez-Potts <> wrote:

> I’d like to propose three roadmap items and suggest owners of these.
> 1. ODF support. Owner: Dennis. Task: What do we need, abstractly and—more
> usefully?—concretely to support ODF, or at the least, ODT, in a usable
> (however you judge) manner?  From my perspective, usability means being
> able to open fairly simple documents, edit them within the original styles,
> then return to sender or otherwise pass them to others. Ambition here is
> great; but so is usable proof of concept.
> The need for ODF may be waning, at least in some circles. But I’d think
> the situation is just that there are layers upon layers, and desktop usage,
> complemented by tablets (and the like) able to manipulate ODF/ODT is
> inevitably going to grow, and not slowly. ODF would be and is preferred by
> quite a few, if in percentage smaller than MS’s format, simply because
> governments have policies preferring it, though actions speak louder.
> I don’t see galvanising advancements in the format and I think it would be
> misguided to dump watts of brainpower energy into doing it, at this point.
> I do see continued demand and need for devices able to manipulate ODF. Same
> for OpenOffice’s implementation of ODF.
> 2. Documentation for developers. Owner: Peter (and others?). Task: Outline
> for documentation explicating goal and architecture briefly, allowing for
> future additions as needed.
> Every time I talk to Peter he allows he must do documentation. I think in
> part that’s because he alone has the full architecture in mind (his) and
> also because it would save him and others (like the rest) time to know that
> architecture before launching into the bog of mistaken intention and
> incoherent code.
> is that true, though? Or: What could be done now to produce outlines for
> documentation. My experience elsewhere has been that documentation is often
> written as it is needed, like a map is drawn after land is discovered: to
> chart the better narrative for others, so that they don’t make your
> mistakes.
> If so, what can the rest of us do to help? "Us" could include students,
> newbies, moi, and so on.
> 3. GSoC and also Jan’s discovery, Semester of Code. I want to press ahead
> on this and see if we can get a grant. There are some students at the
> University of Toronto who could, conceivably be qualified and interested. I
> can take this on, or part of it, but am not sure where to focus; I can
> correspond with Dennis on this?
What do you mean "if we can get a grant". Neither GSoC or Vals gives grants
to the mentors or projects.

Thanks for the 3 suggestions, I would like to add:

4) DocFormats API, Owner Peter/Jan. We need to stabilize the interface
between the library and the outside world

5) DocFormats internal filter API. Owner Peter. We need to define a API
which filter developers can use, this might later form a plugin basis.

6) Interconnect Editor (JS) both local (without WEB server) and remote
(through WEB server). Owner: Peter/Jan.

7) Generate documentation needed for our releases (NOTICE; LICENSE files
etc). Owner ??

jan i.