corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Coding Standard Discussion
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2015 23:05:33 GMT
On Monday, February 23, 2015, Gabriela Gibson <gabriela.gibson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Jan and Peter asked to start a discussion about coding standards on the
> mailing list.(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COR-46)
>
> I think the Subversion project has a very good strategy, see here:
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/conventions.html

> Personally I think we could easily just copy their rules and will not
> regret it, plus their rules have stood the test of time.

The "just" is a big word, as far as I can read we would need to reformat
the whole code.

As long as
- those who program agree to the rules
- they are not overwhelming complicated
- they do not force to spent many hours refactoring the current source
I am fine with it.

just using the SVN standard seems like a lo of work?

btw. I really do not like that the put the return type on a separate line.

> That all said, whatever rules are chosen I am fine with ;-)
>

> Chars per line
> --------------------
>
> My personal rationale for liking 70 chars per line is that more gets
> tedious to read (as in line too long) and, I like to be able to use emacs
> over ssh, or, if local, -nw style.
>
> +1 like that, I too hate long lines.

> Being a bit myopic (and a fan of my screen being at least 1m away from me),
> I also manage to max out a 15" screen with just 70 chars, but my other half
> (who is eagle eyed) manages to fit two editor windows next to each other
> with 70 char wide each.
>
> The other thing this does is introduce shape to the code, because long
> lines now have to be broken up.
>
> This help a lot when glancing over stuff on the quick, you see 3 lines and
> know that this function declaration has 3 parameters, whereas if it's one
> line, you have to count 'em. (and think! ;-)  Plus, you can find stuff by
> shape too, which can at times be useful, and if you have a long parameter
> list, having the vars on their own line is also useful. (easy to count, and
> easy to spot if they are in the wrong order for some strange reason and so
> on).
>
> So, 70 is quite a good number I think, plus it's traditional for most
> software I've seen, and new people will find it easy to get used to our
> code as well this way, since it'll looks instantly familiar and they won't
> have to change their set ups (and habits) very much and find it easier to
> switch between projects during the same day too, if they don't have to
> remember greatly differing rules.  (I swear that fingers have brains too).
>

> Spaces before variables
> ---------------------------------
>
> Regards spaces between variables --- I think it makes it easier to scan
> quickly, that way you don't have to wonder, is this a full stop or a
> comma?  Also, it makes a parameter list read more like a sentence, making
> the individual type or variable much easier to spot --- a long or short var
> name is instantly recognisable, without having to read the entire thing.

+1

> Tabs/spaces
> ------------------
>
> Everyone uses spaces, tabs usually is not popular, for a very good reason
> which I forgot by now.  Personally I like 8 spaces (which grosses everyone
> out, heh) but 4 is a good (better!) number, it's separates code levels
> nicely visually without making nested code too crowded.  (Some people use 8
> spaces to prevent code that is too deeply nested, notably, the Linux kernel
> style guide does this.).

I was used to 2 but Peter convinced me that 4 is double so good.

> Brace styles
> ------------------
>
> K&R or Gnu --- K&R has the advantage to preserving vertical screen real
> estate, Gnu is easier to spot (you know where the brace sits and don't have
> to scan to the end of the line, plus it's easier to copy an entire block).
> I think both styles are equally fine, just not at the same time.

To change that would be a real chunk of work ( or do I see it wrong), so I
would prefer to keep the style we have.

> Page breaks
> ------------------
>
> I find them handy if the file is large, but can live without them.

i have never used it, and have no opinion.

> I also think that we should have the same discussion about log messages.
> There is a lot to be said for uniformity (makes searches of the logs
> visually much easier and also ensures that the logs are as informative as
> can be) and I do like the svn rules here, and they also help a lot in
> making patches higher quality and much easier to comprehend for readers.

yeah we could be better at log messagees (read I should be better)

rgds
jan i