corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] FIrst release.
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2015 15:13:05 GMT
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:

> > On 24 Feb 2015, at 4:23 pm, jan i <jani@apache.org <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > In theory all we miss to graduate (REMARK I am not suggesting we should
> try
> > to graduate now, merely stating facts) is showing we can produce
> releases.
> >
> > I would really like us to make a release, and have a baseline.
> >
> > To me the first release should contain:
> > - DocFormats, basically as it is now (it works)
> > - Utilities..dfutil etc. (we need to get the test suite to work)
> > - Editor (we need to get it working in webkit with e.g. firefox)
> >
> > My intention is just to have baseline, and then in the next release be
> > better.
> >
> > I think we are very close from a code pow, so why not give it the last
> > meter, and get it done ?
>
> I think we should wait until we have a usable editor. This is quite a lot
> of work in terms of designing a UI. I think this will make the project at
> least 3 times as interesting as it is without an editor, and provide much
> stronger motivation for people to get involved.
>
> The editor UI design (and mockups, including) can actually be begin
> entirely independently of the editing library, with subsequent integration
> of the two. Basically we need the standard kind of things - a toolbar,
> drop-downs for selecting fonts and colours, a dialog for style management,
> and of course opening and saving files. For the web-based version of the
> editor, this requires a server-side component (which could be in any
> language - I’d choose Python, but there are many other good options) to
> handle access to the filesystem.
>
> So I suggest we start a discussion on the editor UI, and I’d love to see
> people’s ideas on what it might look like and how it could work. We may
> also want to consider whether to use an existing UI framework like
> bootstrap for this, or whether to roll our own.
>
> Having said this, a very basic (ugly, awkward, but functional) UI won’t be
> a huge amount of work to code up, and after I’ve finished my current
> backlog of bug fixes in the editing library I intend to put one together so
> that people can at least start using it, and others wanting to work on the
> code can take it from there and improve or replace the UI.

for a first release that would be more than enough, I would even advocate
that the library is enough.

people do not come streaming just because we have made a release, but it is
an important signal to send, that we are alive and on our way.

It would make a talk in Austin more interesting, to be able to say we have
just made our first release, which merely show what we intend to do.

As a wise man said.....too perfect is no good.

That being said I am willing to help with the webkit code.

rgds
jan i