corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC 2015 - very little interest so far
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:10:38 GMT
On 11 February 2015 at 19:00, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 11-02-2015, at 12:54, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 11 February 2015 at 18:17, Dennis E. Hamilton <
> dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Side question: Is it premature to have Corinthia tasks in GSoC 2015?
> >>
> > absolutely not....would be real nice to have. But we need somebody who
> can
> > do the technical mentoring.
> >
> > Without a mentor, there are no meaning in suggesting tasks.
> >
> > I am caught up with some other projects, so I do not have the time needed
> > (and we talk about quite a lot of time) to be a GSoC mentor this year.
> >
> > Rgds
> > jan i
> >

> I would be happy to officiate as a mentor until such time as a "real"
> mentor (aka a savant) comes up. For instance, what sort of technical tasks
> are imagined as being wanted? And what would the mentor be doing? When we
> did this before, for OOo, the role of the mentor really depended hugely on
> the ambition and capability of the student.

The mentor is (as of GSoC definition) the person that drives the GSoC task,
and link the student(s) to the rest of hte project. The Mentor is expected
to be technically skilled and able to help the student with programming
decisions.

I was not aware that OOo participated in GSoC ? please be aware that GSoC
expects more technical skills from the mentors, that you find in many
university projects. I am aware the AOO participated with jsc mentoring a
student in UNO, and I also remember jürgen telling how difficult it was for
him.

I am all for that we submit GSoC proposals, but whoever sign up as mentor,
should be prepared for the technical challenge....of course we can also
define projects (like I did for VALs) that require less programming skills,
but programming is mandatory for GSoC.

If you want to sign up, Uli has outlined the procedure.

rgds
jan i.