corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC 2015 - very little interest so far
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:22:42 GMT

> On 11-02-2015, at 13:10, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 11 February 2015 at 19:00, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> On 11-02-2015, at 12:54, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 11 February 2015 at 18:17, Dennis E. Hamilton <
>> dennis.hamilton@acm.org>

>>> absolutely not....would be real nice to have. But we need somebody who
>> can
>>> do the technical mentoring.
>>>
>>> Without a mentor, there are no meaning in suggesting tasks.
>>>
>>> I am caught up with some other projects, so I do not have the time needed
>>> (and we talk about quite a lot of time) to be a GSoC mentor this year.
>>>
>>> Rgds
>>> jan i
>>>

>> I would be happy to officiate as a mentor until such time as a "real"
>> mentor (aka a savant) comes up. For instance, what sort of technical tasks
>> are imagined as being wanted? And what would the mentor be doing? When we
>> did this before, for OOo, the role of the mentor really depended hugely on
>> the ambition and capability of the student.
>>
> The mentor is (as of GSoC definition) the person that drives the GSoC task,
> and link the student(s) to the rest of hte project. The Mentor is expected
> to be technically skilled and able to help the student with programming
> decisions.
>
> I was not aware that OOo participated in GSoC ? please be aware that GSoC
> expects more technical skills from the mentors, that you find in many
> university projects. I am aware the AOO participated with jsc mentoring a
> student in UNO, and I also remember jürgen telling how difficult it was for
> him.

OOo participated in several, including some of the earliest; this was before the War over
Java (regarding validation and leading to the rise of Classpath). I oversaw this effort and
participated in the Mountain View meetings with Juergen Schmidt, who was subordinate to my
peer in Hamburg; both of us were in the engineering. I don’t recall if Juergen was a mentor
at this time—around 2006?—or if it was not some other, more senior developer in Hamburg.
However, what you write about Juergen’s experience is useful to know. (I also rather pity
him for mentoring a student on UNO. Wouldn’t you?) (Regarding the other times, I think we
did it twice, with Google. Then we also had a rather successful program within OOo funded
by Sun for a couple of years, and that produced some good work and advanced the program in
accessibility (DAISY) and elsewhere. This work was all very technical and supervised by advanced
advanced developers. But not all were with Sun; for the DAISY project, we had outside contributors
supervise the development of the module. Perhaps something like that can be done here.)

Back then, I did little with actual mentoring. My goal *then* (not now) was basically to induce
(poach?) developers.

> I am all for that we submit GSoC proposals, but whoever sign up as mentor,
> should be prepared for the technical challenge....of course we can also
> define projects (like I did for VALs) that require less programming skills,
> but programming is mandatory for GSoC.

Yes. I understand you, Jan. Here is what I proposed. If there is a deadline issue, the mentor
initially put forth could be switched out for someone else more capable to taken on the task.
This is a classic tactic for obtaining grants.

> If you want to sign up, Uli has outlined the procedure.

Okay.