corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copyright notices
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2015 20:00:22 GMT
On 13/02/2015 Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> From: jan i [mailto:jani@apache.org]
> The copyright is Apache (see the ICLA) but you have
> the full right to use it. The ICLA transfers ownership to Apache, this is
> so that ASF can protect you in case of problems, if you owned the code ASF
> could not protect you, and ASF could not license it to others (the essence
> of ALv2).
> <orcmid>
>     ... In particular, the copyright holder does not license the
>     transfer of copyright to recipients of the license in the case of iCLA
>     and also the ALv2.  If ASF was a copyright owner of the contributed
>     work, it could indeed make transfers to others.  ...
>     It is important that the idea of copyright transfer and of copyright
>     licensing be kept very separate. ...
> </orcmid>

I confirm what Dennis wrote. There is a difference between a copyright
assignment and copyright licensing. What I do when submitting the ICLA
is: telling the ASF that it can use my contributed code under ALv2
forever; promising the ASF that I will only contribute code that I am
entitled to contribute. The copyright on the code remains mine.

In case of problems with released code, responsibility falls on the PMC
that was acting as an official body of the ASF (this is why a collective
vote is needed); in case of problems with unreleased code, I suspect
that the responsibility is still of the individual committer.

Regards,
   Andrea.