corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache™ PDFBox™ named an Open Source Partner Organization of the PDF Association : The Apache Software Foundation Blog
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2015 00:38:54 GMT

> On 03-02-2015, at 19:22, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> PDFBox is pretty sweet.
>
> You might recall my Osmosis talk at Apachecon Denver on PDF to PPTX.

Is the talk online?

> At work my team has also created PDF to HTML5 (SVG) conversion with recomposition of
text and shapes. This is why I want a good API and some way to plug DocFormat.

I think it would be pretty powerful, as a combo., and open a world of archives (national,
gov’t., educational, and also corporate) to the consideration of applications like Apache
OpenOffice which could then work with the range of static documents without committing the
institution to any serious deviation of course. Ie, it could have its cake and eat it too.

Right now, I think one must buy costly Adobe products to obtain full PDF editing; .doc(x)
is also included? But probably not full OOXML (or MS’s implementation thereof).

> This is definitely a part of my interest in Corinthia.

I think focusing on a specific functionality—PDF/PPTX/Corinthia as a specific goal could
be a means of attracting developers. It’s easier to represent, to market. And I think I
know already of at least one group that would be interested in this, where "this" represents
the editing functionality of Corinthia as well as its converting capability.

-louis

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> On Feb 3, 2015, at 9:12 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Adding to the remark by Louis.  The PDF Association also has some strong conformance
testing and that, combined with a way to examine and test PDFs handled/produced by Corinthia
using ODFBox, even if outside of Corinthia proper, is a valuable (side)-opportunity.

PDF Association : The Apache Software Foundation Blog

>> [ ... ]. I was thinking more in terms that PDFBox grants those with JVMs to manipulate
PDFs ad hoc. As a lot of enterprise docs. are PDFs, the utility of the service seems plain.
(That OpenOffice can do this, too, to a limited degree, as can other open source applications
is known; that they are not used this way and instead the maximally expensive options are
used just goes to show you that nature doesn’t just abhor a vacuum, it sucks.)

>> But to return to the point. If one aspect of Corinthia is to enable the manipulation
of documents, then it bears watching how other similar, if by no means congruent or identical,
services fare in the market. More expanded: to investigate the possibility of cooperation
if not collaboration; of mutual interest.