corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <kelly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Commons is not really an option in corinthia
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2015 16:48:50 GMT
> On 19 Jan 2015, at 3:27 am, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 18 January 2015 at 21:18, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I keep pointing out that it is the methods and design, not the code
>> that I am interested in, but I think I am not being emphatic enough when I
>> do that [;<).
>>
> I know you said that, but at the same time somebody said the word license.
> When I look at methods and design I do not need to care about the license,
> because I
> have to reimplement it anyhow.
>

>> It also provides a way that a transposition to a different programming
>> language is correct [;<), by having tests that succeed for both.
>>
> +1
>

>> Likewise, I am perfectly willing to mine POI and the ODF Toolkit for
>> whatever they have to offer in this respect (although this may apply more
>> to the Zip case than the long-form getopt).
>>
> I am close with zip now, so no need for that. But getopt_long() must be
> available in one of the C projects.

I think we should consider whether the getopt-style syntax or a git-style syntax [1] would
be most suitable. I’ve recently been using the Click library for Python in another project
I’m working on, and it provides a nice way of providing a hierarchical set of commands,
in addition to options for said commands.

The discussion is perhaps a bit premature though until we decide what command-line tools we
actually want to have. We’ve got one for command-line conversion (and the mixed-bad dfutil
which is kind of a collection of various things which I added in a very ad-hoc way) but perhaps
we might want to have other tools, or “subcommands” of dfconvert. Once we know exactly
what we’re building, it’ll be easier to decide on a suitable command-line syntax :)

[1] By this, I mean “git commit” instead of “git —commit”. Dashes are used for options,
but not sub-commands.

--
Dr. Peter M. Kelly
kellypmk@gmail.com