corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] FIrst release.
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2015 14:45:18 GMT
> On 24 Feb 2015, at 4:23 pm, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> In theory all we miss to graduate (REMARK I am not suggesting we should try
> to graduate now, merely stating facts) is showing we can produce releases.
>
> I would really like us to make a release, and have a baseline.
>
> To me the first release should contain:
> - DocFormats, basically as it is now (it works)
> - Utilities..dfutil etc. (we need to get the test suite to work)
> - Editor (we need to get it working in webkit with e.g. firefox)
>
> My intention is just to have baseline, and then in the next release be
> better.
>
> I think we are very close from a code pow, so why not give it the last
> meter, and get it done ?

I think we should wait until we have a usable editor. This is quite a lot of work in terms
of designing a UI. I think this will make the project at least 3 times as interesting as it
is without an editor, and provide much stronger motivation for people to get involved.

The editor UI design (and mockups, including) can actually be begin entirely independently
of the editing library, with subsequent integration of the two. Basically we need the standard
kind of things - a toolbar, drop-downs for selecting fonts and colours, a dialog for style
management, and of course opening and saving files. For the web-based version of the editor,
this requires a server-side component (which could be in any language - I’d choose Python,
but there are many other good options) to handle access to the filesystem.

So I suggest we start a discussion on the editor UI, and I’d love to see people’s ideas
on what it might look like and how it could work. We may also want to consider whether to
use an existing UI framework like bootstrap for this, or whether to roll our own.

Having said this, a very basic (ugly, awkward, but functional) UI won’t be a huge amount
of work to code up, and after I’ve finished my current backlog of bug fixes in the editing
library I intend to put one together so that people can at least start using it, and others
wanting to work on the code can take it from there and improve or replace the UI.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org