corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Copyright notices
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2015 11:27:07 GMT
Your response is much crisper than mine. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Kelly []
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 02:49
Subject: Re: Copyright notices

> The ICLA transfers ownership to Apache

This is contrary to my understanding. In section 2 ("Grant of Copyright License”) of the
ICLA it specifically says that the signer agrees to *license* the code to Apache; I understood
this as not indicating transfer of *ownership*. If ownership transfer was taking place, it
seems the license grant would be unnecessary?

I also came across the following comment by Bertrand Delacretaz on a mailing list archive:

"No - as per ("2. Grant of Copyright License") which
is what committers sign, they only grant a copyright license to the ASF, but all committers
keep copyright ownership of their contributions."

Dr Peter M. Kelly

PGP key: <>