corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: GSoC 2015 - very little interest so far
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2015 19:20:41 GMT
I'm not OK with the switching mentors business.  Corinthia doesn't have the depth to allow
that.  I think that is inappropriate here regardless.

In any case, it is apparently a requirement that the mentor who creates the possible project
be someone capable of carrying it out themselves, although the project definition is not a
promise to do so.

 - Dennis

From: Louis Suárez-Potts [mailto:luispo@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:23
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Cc: Dennis E. Hamilton
Subject: Re: GSoC 2015 - very little interest so far

> On 11-02-2015, at 13:10, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
[ ... ]

Back then, I did little with actual mentoring. My goal *then* (not now) was basically to induce
(poach?) developers.

> I am all for that we submit GSoC proposals, but whoever sign up as mentor,
> should be prepared for the technical challenge....of course we can also
> define projects (like I did for VALs) that require less programming skills,
> but programming is mandatory for GSoC.

Yes. I understand you, Jan. Here is what I proposed. If there is a deadline issue, the mentor
initially put forth could be switched out for someone else more capable to taken on the task.
This is a classic tactic for obtaining grants.

> If you want to sign up, Uli has outlined the procedure.

Okay.