corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] ODF Support in Corinthia
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2015 02:47:14 GMT
+1 on Peter's offer to provide skeletons with TODO comments everywhere.

I'm going to mull over the problem of stability though, based on what I see in what you provide.

Meanwhile, while going through yet one more medical procedure that probably take until next
week for recovery, I think I should spend time training myself more in on-line developer courses
and looking at peripheral issues not likely to collide with all that Peter is hammering on.
 It's not like I can't come up with a mountain of things to work on for all of the projects
I have itches about [;<).

So I shall be on a holding pattern here and do more on my personal learning curve in the meantime.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Kelly [mailto:kellypmk@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 16:39
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] ODF Support in Corinthia

[ ... ]

What I’ll do as soon as I get the chance (hopefully next week) is to lay out a skeleton
of the code in the repository, and put TODO comments everywhere, with explanations and references
to the corresponding code in the Word filter. This initial skeleton will give us the most
basic form of conversion (text only, with no formatting or special objects), and also illustrate
how non-supported features are handled (no support for tables yet? no problem - the update
code just doesn’t touch them). I’ll try to incrementally document both the Word filter
and the general design approach incrementally as I go along; and will do that on the mailing
list in the hope of prompting questions and discussions about improvements or alternative
designs.

[ ... ]

So let’s not wait for stability. That’s going to take too long, possibly postponing any
new filter development indefinitely. The necessary pieces are already in place for us to begin
work on the ODF filter, and I think it’ll be much more practical to deal with problems as
we encounter them rather than trying to get a perfect “base” beforehand.

--
Dr. Peter M. Kelly
kellypmk@gmail.com

[ ... ]