corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject The Visual Studio move to OpenSource [Development]
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2015 16:34:54 GMT
Here is a good summary about the Visual Studio Community Edition,

I am currently using this and its command-line tools for demonstration of on-Windows development
(except for JDK work).  That's my way of ensuring that anything I do in this area can be built
using free tools.  (I work with MSYS2 for command-line-only building.)

The Visual Studio 2015 Technology Preview suggests even more embrace of platforms (such as
integration of Clang, working against the JDK, and more mobile emulators).  The VS IDE is
also going open-source but it is not clear what the bounds on that will be.

Just an FYI.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton []
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2015 08:16
Subject: Silver and Fire IDEs for Swift

This is not likely to be an open-source effort, but it is an interesting development, though
probably not something we want to deal with any time soon.

An interesting facet is how they are taking advantage to the ability of anyone, these days,
to ship support for a new language using the Visual Studio IDE.  There is clearly a great
deal of attention to cross-/multi-platform tooling these days too.

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton    +1-206-779-9430  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail

View raw message