corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject Use case for tablets and small-format devices
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2015 16:09:19 GMT
This article is interesting for its visuals and also what author Ed Bott observes about the
use cases <http://www.zdnet.com/article/using-the-new-office-apps-on-a-windows-10-tablet/>.
 I have not found these preview Windows Universal applications available on my Windows 10
Technical Preview yet.

There are three preliminary take-aways that I have:

 1. It is speculated that the small device (I think that means 8" and smaller screens) and
touch-only devices will be used as adjuncts to the full applications for mainly light editing
and viewing/presentation when away from the desktop.

 2. There may be interesting usability attention to features in documents that the touch application
does not create but they may be viewable in some useful way.

 3. Collaborative editing and tracked changes are supported.  This is presumably with OOXML
tracked changes or some cloud representation that exports to desktop apps correctly in OOXML.

This emerging area is going to be interesting with regard to the profiling that is proposed
as part of Corinthia.

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    orcmid@apache.org
    dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail