corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1649986 - /incubator/corinthia/www/index.html
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2015 16:55:11 GMT
> On 7 Jan 2015, at 11:32 pm, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
> +0
>
> I'm not happy with this.  I feel completely frustrated with any ability to contribute
considering that we have no way to know the rules for working on the site, the wiki is terrible,
and there is no compartmentalization that works for where work is needed and what is actually
stable about stable.

> Also, I think Peter assumes too much about my knowledge of the code and how it works.
 I have no working knowledge of the internals of AOO nor of DocFormats.

I’m very much aware this is a big problem at the moment. My #1 priority regarding my involvement
in the project is to make it easier for others to get involved in actual development work
- that includes documentation and assistance with tasks, e.g. the ODF filter which I’ve
just posted about on the mailing list. Unfortunately my time is limited due to other work,
but I see this as an important issue that I need to be addressing to the extent that I can.

There’s a *ton* of fascinating problems to solve here, both development and research :)
I’d like us to get to the good stuff sooner rather than later. I’ll be posting more on
the list when I get time about some of the design issues I’m aware of that I think we should
discuss. An example is how we can remove the need for explicit id mapping between concrete
and abstract documents by using a suitable diff algorithm to compute the set of changes. It’s
stuff like that which is the real meat of this project, though unfortunately there is a rather
steep learning curve. I hope we can try and flatten that curve a bit.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org