corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Corinthia web and social media
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 11:27:24 GMT
On 8 January 2015 at 00:29, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2015, at 1:36 AM, jan i wrote:
>
> > On 7 January 2015 at 04:25, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Dennis,
> >>
> >> I like your style. I'll introduce myself to those who don't know me in
> the
> >> near future.
> >>
> >> What I am grasping for is documentation on the architecture and how Java
> >> based libraries like Apache POI and PDFBox would fit with Corinthia.
> Once I
> >> can understand this then I might be able to lean in with help with
> Office
> >> and PDF.
> >>
> > Hi Dave
> >
> > Welcome aboard. Looking forward to work together with you on this
> project.
> >
> > When Peter and I meet, I looked into especially POI because I think there
> > is a lot we can use there. Peter taught me the benefit of having pure C
> > code due to the different platforms. Without it being written in stone, I
> > as developer, would find it very difficult accepting a second programming
> > language, or the requirement of needing a java runtime. Having said
> that, I
> > have been thinking about if there are java->C converters we could use.
>
> I can see a benefit to one language, but that may really be about how
> tightly coupled the architecture really is and if it is modular enough to
> allow for different languages in the conversion tool chain.
>
> In my case I am thinking about (PDF,PPTX) -> HTML5(SVG) -> Corinthia
> enabled edits -> Responsive and/or Collaborative Presentation.

this could be a use case for only using the editor, which uses HTML5.

> I have various tools to do conversions I guess I want to do my own convert
> to HTML5 and then have Corinthia help with editing and then handle the
> conversion out.

That sounds like a good idea. And then of course we can do something so you
can start the editor (javascript + docformats library) embedded.

> I know that a C port of POI is not to interesting to me. There is a .NET
> port - https://npoi.codeplex.com/
>
> If Java will work for at least some conversions then I have an argument
> for my work about open sourcing my Osmosis tool that converts PDF into
> HTML5. The cool part is the way shapes and text is regrouped into layout.If
> it had to be in C then I won't get much traction.

Just a few words to describe the complications.

DocFormats is today a static linked C library, it consist of 3 layered
parts (without going into all details):
- At the bottom we have platform/core, that takes care of the data model
(HTML5) and platform dependencies.
- Above that we have the filters, each filter has its own implementation,
so all filters are in parallel
- At the top we the API, the outward facing part of the library (this is by
far not completed).

If you wanted to make a java based filter. You would need to write a
skeleton C filter that can be linked into docformats. The skeleton, would
then need to communicate with the java implementation.

Peter and I discussed making plugable filters a while ago, but decided
against it (for now), because we dont see a lot of different filters.
However now that we are more people working the world might change.

rgds
jan i