corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FW: svn commit: r1649986 - /incubator/corinthia/www/index.html
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2015 18:10:37 GMT
On 7 January 2015 at 18:49, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:

> I just got a spam-bounce of this message returned to me.  I am sending it
> from a different e-mail to see if it gets through.

+1, but it also typically that contributors contribute in areas the are
confident about....I know you have a huge experience we all could benefit
from. We just need to find out what you to contribute with.

If f.x. you want to help work on the 64bit windows system, I will be glad
to help you with the cmake files, so you can concentrate on finding the
application errors.

I see peter has sent you the link to Foundation, if that is what you want
to work on.

I think my problem is, that I dont know, what you would really like to work
on

> I am left with the impression that others have ideas about where I should
> be finding that.  But that's not my agenda (even if I knew what my agenda
> were), that's someone else's agenda.

"that" being ?

I totally agree with you, we are all doing volunteer work, so it needs to
be fun.

May I bother you, to come with a couple of specific ideas, what would make
fun for you ? I think it is better than peter an I guessing.

I am very willing to work together with on issues we both like, and I am
sure so are all of the community. The problem might come because you are
very productive, and sometimes attack an area, without making your
intentions clear.

> I don't doubt that Peter has an eye on a variety of research topics and
> also some approaches that he is aware of (e.g., in parser construction)
> that he wants to try out.  That's fine.  I may or may not be intrigued
> enough to follow him down those paths.
>

> It may be that projects are more mature than Corinthia when they tend to
> come over to the ASF.  I don't know.  Or perhaps I just haven't studied the
> code enough to understand that there is sufficient architectural structure
> to follow, as in looking into the filter cases.  I was starting at an even
> lower level, something basic like how can any of this be compiled and
> worked on using a Windows desktop platform.  (So I am immediately up
> against tacit knowledge requirements for CMake without getting to any of
> the computer science stuff at all. That's the rank amateur level at which I
> am arriving here.)

I think the real problem is more WE are building ourself a community....we
need to give each other room, so we all can have fun, once we know each
other better, this will not be a problem.

> You should consider me a complete noob with regard to this project.  It
> happens I have the kind of beginner's mind where I can turn what I learn as
> a noob into advice for other noobs and maybe leave better bread crumbs for
> those who follow.  But noob I am.

+1 ....except I dont think for 1 second you are a noob, not anymore than we
all are. We each have specific knowledge and the game is to make 1+1 = 4.

rgds
jan i.