corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: change if wiki ?
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2015 17:06:47 GMT
On 18 January 2015 at 17:45, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
wrote:

> 1. Replacing the Confluence Wiki
>
> We know what wiki we would prefer (Wikimedia) but there are constraints on
> supporting it that Corinthia is probably not equipped to satisfy.

The person who maintains the AOO mediawiki also happens to be part of
corinthia, so technically it is possible, but we need to politely ask AOO
(it might
be easier if Louis end up as chair).

> With regard to the MoinMoin wiki that is also supported at ASF, the
> problem seems to be one of responsiveness.  It has the advantage that one
> can prepare text off line and one can rescue the wikiText form of content
> if ever needed.

agreed.

> My concern for the current wiki is it appears to be totally captive and
> anything committed to it lies in that embrace forever.  (The export
> functions are to limited forms and it is not clear they are a good way to
> produce content while working off-line.)

I have a little bit the same fear, but it actually exports quite nice to
XML, which can then be converted to our needs with XSLT.

> 2. Continuing to Use Confluence
>
> Confluence authoring is apparently required to be in a browser (or via the
> REST API, which is too much of a reach).  I would love to find out that is
> not the case, but I have failed to determine what the plaintext form of
> text submission is, and the help button is not useful in knowing otherwise.
> It appears from the documentation that the canonical form of the content is
> XML and can be used to backup and restore pages.

I did not know you could do that with mediawiki or moin-moin, to me they
all require you work via a browser (REST API is essentially jus a special
form of browser window).

> I guess this means proceed at your own risk.
>
> 3. Cutting the Knot?
>
> So I started using the JIRA as a way to capture ideas and notes until
> there is better understanding of Atlassian Confluence and the Gliffy
> Confluence Plugin.  As far as I am concerned, Confluence is a CMS, it is
> highly captive and it is not like any wiki I have ever seen.
>

> I think we should tilt to using the web site more and the wiki less.

I have no problem with that, but I would NOT like to use Apache CMS, that
has the most irritating limitations and release process.

What we could do, since I expect you would like to work with markdown is to
find a converter (markdown to our html).

> I do see that one can presumably use Confluence as a blog in some manner.
> (Unfortunately they no longer except XML-RPC from blog authoring tools.)
> That might be worth considering for simple content.

I have seen our wiki (whatever it is) as a place to have discussion and
items that tend to change (like build instructions). But I have 2 projects
where Jira is in reality used as discussion medium (somewhat like what you
have started).

So maybe a combination of web and jira is the best option for us. We do not
need to make things complex if we can keep them simple. Once we are TLP, we
can put wordpress on a VM and combine it all in one.

rgds
jan i