corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Windows and Visual Studio (was RE: Anybody who know how to write .cmd or .bat files for windows ?)
Date Thu, 01 Jan 2015 21:15:13 GMT
On 1 January 2015 at 20:31, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
wrote:

> I don't think preferences for Visual Studio are all that clearcut.  There
> is much to like about the Visual Studio IDE and how it works in a code and
> test and fix and repeat cycle of activity.  But that is only when building
> for Windows on Windows.
>
> We have to be careful about two things:
>
>  1. Many Visual Studio users have never been taught any other way to build
> code, even though there is full support for makefile usage, command-line
> building, and also growing cross-platform support in Visual Studio.

correct, and many of these users are not prepared to install utilities like
cmake.

>  2. Open source projects that treat Windows as an appendage case are very
> inaccessible to Windows developers because of the Fibber McGee's Closet
> tooling that seems to be some sort of normal for getting something to build
> along with considerable investment in custom scripts (using from M4 to Perl
> to Python and almost anything else).
>
> So there is the way that VS is appealing to Windows developers as grounded
> in what they know, but there is also some need to recognize how repellant
> many open-source projects appear to developers who, know it or not, are
> relying on a consistent structure for which complexity is noticed only when
> the need arises.
>
> Now our challenge is, I assume, multi-platform development using a common
> core source code along with whatever the adaptation mechanism is for
> different targets.  So we have to be more ecumenical in how the code can be
> approached by developers with different interests.

That is where cmake comes in. With cmake we can generate
makefiles/solutions etc for many different platforms.

> I think it is unlikely that we can make the compilable parts of Corinthia
> look like a Visual Studio solution consisting of one or more Visual C
> projects (compilation steps) and tests to the point where a Visual Studio
> developer can ignore all else.  I'm not even clear that it is a good idea.

I think it is a very very good idea. A windows developer might focus on
e.g. writing a  filter, and nothing in the filter should be platform
dependent. It is only when you change in platform, that you really need to
be careful.

I am right now testing, an idea I have had for a long time, to integrate
the testing into the visual studio projects as well, as part of the build
process (on e.g. linux it will be part of the make process).

> Just a concern I have,

Concerns are often good points to start a discussion.

rgds
jan i.