corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Crazy Cool Idea - Corinthia Backed Website
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 16:36:53 GMT
I think it’s a great idea - though perhaps somewhat premature given the early state of the
project.

We have a web-based editor (which is yet to be properly documented or integrated with DocFormats)
which I think would be a great tool/library for people building CMS systems. And the document
conversion facility is a great way of demonstrating how we can take different kinds of documents
as inputs. We could even have a set of links at the bottom of this page… “download this
file as… [docx] [odt] [markdown] [latex]” etc, optionally combined with the ability to
upload in any format, demonstrating the conversion capabilities.

I think however that the code is not ready at this point, and our main focus right now needs
to being getting content up there. I suggest we peg this as an aspirational goal, and to try
and work towards figuring out how one might build a suitable web CMS or static website demonstrator
using the toolkit.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

> On 9 Jan 2015, at 7:46 am, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Hi -
>
> Peter's architecture descriptions have been very illuminating. The debate around bootstrapping
documentation is interesting.

> Observations.
>
> o Corinthia features an HTML abstract state.
>
> o Corinthia can filter a Word document into HTML. With other filters to follow.
>
> o Apache CMS can wrap diverse documents (mdtext, html, ...) into HTML - See openoffice.org.
>
> Idea:
>
> 1. Create website responsive wrapper. This is Dorte's current web work that must continue!
We've had good email discussion and we can link to our public dev archive for now. No need
for a wiki yet!

> 2. Once we are happy with the website design, I can convert into templates in the Apache
CMS.

> 3. Create website content bodies from Word documents locally using Corinthia.
> 	o As additional filters are implemented in Corinthia more source document types are
possible for site content:
> 		- ODT
> 		- PowerPoint, ...
>
> 4. Build a headless Corinthia and install on the Apache CMS buildbot.
>
> Some benefits:
>
> o Write documentation like you know how. The website content becomes a tree of documents.
>
> o Apache CMS could be used to provide a "source" view of the pages. Even more help opening
up the model.

> o Corinthia can show the differences between document versions – the diffs between
website content checkins.

> o It will be easy to show potential users how Corinthia works. Different abstract HTML
forms can be filtered from documents which will allow easier explanations of the various html
forms - flat, wrapped, sequential, etc. as the pages source code.