corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Corinthia web and social media
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 03:16:03 GMT
If you’re curious about the choice of C (over Java) BTW, it’s because the code was developed
for iOS, which does not support Java. I use the library in an iOS app that I develop (and
will be doing more apps this year, which will utilise the library), so any Java code would
not work.

I think it’s unfortunate that Java is no longer a viable choice for cross-platform code,
but Apple’s sway in the industry has made it so. C, C++, and Javascript seem to be the only
viable choices.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

> On 8 Jan 2015, at 6:29 am, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> On Jan 7, 2015, at 1:36 AM, jan i wrote:
>
>> On 7 January 2015 at 04:25, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dennis,
>>>
>>> I like your style. I'll introduce myself to those who don't know me in the
>>> near future.
>>>
>>> What I am grasping for is documentation on the architecture and how Java
>>> based libraries like Apache POI and PDFBox would fit with Corinthia. Once I
>>> can understand this then I might be able to lean in with help with Office
>>> and PDF.
>>>
>> Hi Dave
>>
>> Welcome aboard. Looking forward to work together with you on this project.
>>
>> When Peter and I meet, I looked into especially POI because I think there
>> is a lot we can use there. Peter taught me the benefit of having pure C
>> code due to the different platforms. Without it being written in stone, I
>> as developer, would find it very difficult accepting a second programming
>> language, or the requirement of needing a java runtime. Having said that, I
>> have been thinking about if there are java->C converters we could use.
>
> I can see a benefit to one language, but that may really be about how tightly coupled
the architecture really is and if it is modular enough to allow for different languages in
the conversion tool chain.

> In my case I am thinking about (PDF,PPTX) -> HTML5(SVG) -> Corinthia enabled edits
-> Responsive and/or Collaborative Presentation.

> I have various tools to do conversions I guess I want to do my own convert to HTML5 and
then have Corinthia help with editing and then handle the conversion out.

> I know that a C port of POI is not to interesting to me. There is a .NET port - https://npoi.codeplex.com/
>
> If Java will work for at least some conversions then I have an argument for my work about
open sourcing my Osmosis tool that converts PDF into HTML5. The cool part is the way shapes
and text is regrouped into layout.If it had to be in C then I won't get much traction.