corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [REVIEW REQUEST] External Scripts (was RE: My work in january.)
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 16:58:35 GMT
I’ve just tested this on Windows 7 (SP1), and ran into the following error message:

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to receive this
error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error

zconf.h
Type: C/C+ Header
Date modified: 5/13/2013 1:57 PM
Size: 15.1 KB

This happened for the following files:

zconf.h
zlib.h
zdll.lib
zlib.def
example_d.exe
minigzip_d.exe

Now this was when running the file from a mapped network drive - which I normally use for
bulids, since I run Windows under VMWare on my mac (and VMWare’s own folder sharing support
is painfully slow, so I use SMB file sharing from the mac side). So I instead tried copying
the entire Corinthia repository onto the C drive (NTFS), and then extract_downloads.bat ran
without problems.

I did run into problems with the build where it was unable to find some files. It’s very
late here and I’m about to call it a night, so I’ll have a look into both problems on
the weekend or early next week - as soon as I can find the time.

On another note, I must congratulate you on the quality of your documentation for these scripts
- it’s well beyond anything I’ve done for my own code, and something I’d like to see
a lot more of in the project. Currently I’m the only person with sufficient familiarity
with the codebase to do this, but it’s certainly helped motivate me to explain how it all
fits together a lot better than I have done so to date ;)

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

> On 9 Jan 2015, at 11:33 pm, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
> Although I am certain I will notice some touch-ups in the documentation/narrative around
the scripts for downloading externals, what is there is now ready for review.

> A. I request confirmation that the scripts are functional and the description now in
external/README.txt is usable.

> B. After confirmation, I want to delete the two *.sh files, which are not Windows "native."
This is to avoid maintenance happening using the wrong scripts.

> TO CONFIRM THE SCRIPTS:
>
> 1. Clone the repository on any Windows configuration that you can run native console
sessions on.  It is all right to use CygWin or MSYS2 or simply use cmd.exe for a shell.

> 2. In the external folder, wherever located on your machine, execute the external/extract_downloads.bat
script.

> 3. Confirm that the five .zip archives download and that the extractions into external/download/include,
lib, and bin have occurred correctly.

> 4. Report any problems or clarifications that you need to accomplish this.
>
> It is not necessary to confirm that Windows native builds of DocFormats and other components
work.  That is for separate testing and has more prerequisites than just having the external/
scripts working well enough.

> - Dennis

PowerShell sessions, MSYS2 sessions, Cygwin sessions, and Take Command (formerly 4NT) console
sessions as well as across a range of Windows versions, say from XP to Windows 10 Tech Preview.

> Furthermore, I will, in doing that, also
>
> 6. Annotate the scripts a bit more so that anyone using them and puzzled by something
has more bread crumbs about what some of the dependencies and peculiar options are about.

> 7. Bring over the bin/ license material too, so that if the bin folders are used to build
deliverables, the necessary 3rd party licenses on those DLLs will follow along.