corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Corintha] What Development Platform ?
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2015 03:55:15 GMT
(apologies if this is a duplicate; I got a bounce notification when accidentally sending from
my gmail address)

Currently it supports Linux, Windows, OS X, and iOS.

I’d like to see Android support, and I don’t think this will be very difficult - given
that Android itself is based on Linux.

The high-level APIs in iOS are all Objective C (and now Swift), but plain libraries written
in C can be used as well (DocFormats is written in C). Actually given that Objective C is
a superset of C, it’s quite easy to intermix the two languages. For portability reasons
we’ve stuck with C, but the Objective C code in UX Write (my own iOS app) calls through
to the APIs directly, given the ability to mix the languages. iOS is Unix underneath, so the
library uses POSIX APIs in many places.

For Android, the NDK (native development kit) can be used to compile native libraries. To
use these from Java code, it’s necessary to use JNI (java native interface) to interface
between the two languages, which requires the development of wrapper functions. The public
API exposed by the library (which is still undecided at present) is fairly small, so we won’t
need to write a lot of code to enable it to be integrated into Android apps.

The editor itself is written in JavaScript, and can run in a web view (or theoretically a
browser, though it needs some fixes for this first).

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org