corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <>
Subject Re: Windows and Visual Studio (was RE: Anybody who know how to write .cmd or .bat files for windows ?)
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 06:42:06 GMT
Agreed on all points. I believe the project should be completely agnostic regarding platforms
- this is one of the reasons I didn’t use cygwin/mingw when I ported to windows, and don’t
rely on any Unix-specific APIs (those are abstracted over in the platform directory).

The corollary to this of course is that we can’t have anything which makes the codebase
less easy to work with on other platforms. A developer on OS X or Linux should be able to
build and work with the code with the same degree of ease as someone on windows. An example
of something that would work against this goal is including visual studio projects in the
repository if they're not kept consistent with the cross-platform CMakeLists.txt files.

The one and only non-“native” thing we need is CMake, and that’s to bootstrap the system.
Once someone has CMake installed and knows how to use it (which we should provide clear instructions
for), everything else can be done the windows way, with the exception of adding files or changing
build options (which required updating CMakeLists.txt and re-running cmake).

Dr Peter M. Kelly

PGP key: <>

> On 2 Jan 2015, at 2:31 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <> wrote:
> I don't think preferences for Visual Studio are all that clearcut.  There is much to
like about the Visual Studio IDE and how it works in a code and test and fix and repeat cycle
of activity.  But that is only when building for Windows on Windows.
> We have to be careful about two things:
> 1. Many Visual Studio users have never been taught any other way to build code, even
though there is full support for makefile usage, command-line building, and also growing cross-platform
support in Visual Studio.
> 2. Open source projects that treat Windows as an appendage case are very inaccessible
to Windows developers because of the Fibber McGee's Closet tooling that seems to be some sort
of normal for getting something to build along with considerable investment in custom scripts
(using from M4 to Perl to Python and almost anything else).
> So there is the way that VS is appealing to Windows developers as grounded in what they
know, but there is also some need to recognize how repellant many open-source projects appear
to developers who, know it or not, are relying on a consistent structure for which complexity
is noticed only when the need arises.
> Now our challenge is, I assume, multi-platform development using a common core source
code along with whatever the adaptation mechanism is for different targets.  So we have to
be more ecumenical in how the code can be approached by developers with different interests.
> I think it is unlikely that we can make the compilable parts of Corinthia look like a
Visual Studio solution consisting of one or more Visual C projects (compilation steps) and
tests to the point where a Visual Studio developer can ignore all else.  I'm not even clear
that it is a good idea.