corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <>
Subject Re: change if wiki ?
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2015 18:22:44 GMT
Hi -

FWIW - I still have Confluence Admin rights left over from setting up AOO cwikis.

On Jan 18, 2015, at 8:45 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> 1. Replacing the Confluence Wiki
> We know what wiki we would prefer (Wikimedia) but there are constraints on supporting
it that Corinthia is probably not equipped to satisfy.
> With regard to the MoinMoin wiki that is also supported at ASF, the problem seems to
be one of responsiveness.  It has the advantage that one can prepare text off line and one
can rescue the wikiText form of content if ever needed.
> My concern for the current wiki is it appears to be totally captive and anything committed
to it lies in that embrace forever.  (The export functions are to limited forms and it is
not clear they are a good way to produce content while working off-line.)

I'll note that on the Tools dropdown there is a view storage format that gives a window to
grab html.

There is also an Export to Word and PDF. These can be controlled with templates.

There is also a Source Editor if you want to fiddle with the HTML directly.

> 2. Continuing to Use Confluence
> Confluence authoring is apparently required to be in a browser (or via the REST API,
which is too much of a reach).  I would love to find out that is not the case, but I have
failed to determine what the plaintext form of text submission is, and the help button is
not useful in knowing otherwise. It appears from the documentation that the canonical form
of the content is XML and can be used to backup and restore pages.

You can put in html directly.

> I guess this means proceed at your own risk.
> 3. Cutting the Knot?
> So I started using the JIRA as a way to capture ideas and notes until there is better
understanding of Atlassian Confluence and the Gliffy Confluence Plugin.

This plugin looks cool - I will need to play with it to see if this is a great advantage and
if the results are exportable.

>  As far as I am concerned, Confluence is a CMS, it is highly captive and it is not like
any wiki I have ever seen.
> I think we should tilt to using the web site more and the wiki less.

I tend to agree. We could use the wiki for working documents that we are collaboratively editing.

> I do see that one can presumably use Confluence as a blog in some manner.  (Unfortunately
they no longer except XML-RPC from blog authoring tools.)  That might be worth considering
for simple content.

I am comfortable with whatever workflow works for you.

> - Dennis

View raw message